The Catholic schools in the Diocese of Oakland, mindful of their mission to be witnesses to the love of Christ for all, admit students of any race, color, and national and/or ethnic origin to all the rights, privileges, programs, and activities generally accorded or made available to students at the schools. The Catholic schools in the Diocese of Oakland do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, educational policies, scholarships and loan programs, and athletic and other school administered programs.
St. Joseph is a parish school, established for the children of the parish. The school also recognizes its responsibility of mission and service to the community at large, so other families are welcome to send their children to the school if space is available and if they pass other admission criteria.
Since St. Joseph is a parish school, priorities are given to ACTIVE parishioners first as stated below. In all categories, things being equal, developmental placement will be the determining factor in each category.
An active parishioner is determined by the following criteria: registered in the parish, worshiping regularly, involved in the parish, and contributing members (determined by regular use of the Sunday envelope).
- Children of ACTIVE parishioners who have brothers/sisters presently attending or who have graduated from St. Joseph School.
- Children of ACTIVE parishioners who are alumni of St. Joseph School.
- Children of ACTIVE parishioners.
- Children of NON-ACTIVE parishioners who are willing to become involved in the parish community.
- Children of Catholic non-parishioners and non-Catholics who have brothers/sisters attending St. Joseph School.
- Children of Catholic non-parishioners (actively involved in another parish).
Applications are taken year round. Assessments are given for all Grades in February. Students are accepted both for openings and active waiting lists after these assessments.
There is a $45.00 non-refundable testing fee due at the time of application.
No qualified students will be denied admission to this school on the basis of race, color, sex or national origin.
All Transitional Kindergarten students, Kindergarten students, and all new students in Grades 1-8, are on six months probation upon entering the school. If academic or behavior ability is not up to grade level expectations, the child can be dismissed from the school.
Here are the steps you need to take to complete your application to St. Joseph School:
- Complete the online application
- Pay the $45 non-refundable application fee
- Schedule a visit/tour of the school (not required)
- Upload the following documents online:
- Birth Certificate
- Baptismal Certificate
- Complete the following items from the online application packet:
- Copy the appropriate grade level link of the Screening forms listed below and email it to your child’s current teacher:
- 1st Grade
- 2nd - 8th Grade